Bye Ya'll

Bye Ya'll
H. Bros.

Tommy H.

Tommy H.

Wednesday, March 5, 2014

I took advantage of the lack of generation today on the Caney to fish for 3 or 4 hours,  The air was chilly and very cloudy but the weatherman said that would change around noon.  He didn't say where, because it didn't clear up until maybe 3 o'clock and never did warm up.  As I was about to go down the path to the steps my Trout Magnet friend Ed drove up so I waited for him to get his stuff ready and we headed to the river together.  The water was still about a foot or so high but that was fine with me.  I got to my spot with a wooly bugger with some red flash tied on.  I had a fish on in about 10 minutes, a decent size brown, 13".  I tried to take a picture but couldn't get my phone to work.  I was hoping that wasn't my only fish for the day.  A few minutes later after I had tied on a green worm, I had a decent sized rainbow.  I changed flies again to a bright green sow bug to see if the bright green was the color.  With in a few cast I had another brown on.  This all happened in a thirty yard stretch and about 30 minutes.  For the next 40 minutes I tried a beaded zebra midge, a sparking white I don't know what, and a darker wooly bugger.  I had some hits but none to the net.  I moved on downstream and went back through my wooly bugger along with a beaded pheasant tail nymph.  I ended the day with 7 in the net and 6 that didn't make it that far.  Not a bad day for me.                     My friend Ed had his usual good day with his spinning rod and trout magnets.  He caught a 20"brown that he almost didn't land and three or four more that were close to that size.  Maybe some day I'll try it.  But not on the Caney.  Until next time,  Pappy.

4 comments:

  1. Hey Pappy. You ever run into Dave Knapp (http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com/) out there on the Caney? I sent him a fly called a Thin Mint that he says is a killer. It's a multi-colored Wooly Bugger. They are an Umpqua Fly and you can pick them up at Cabela's. Thought I'd pass that along. I use them in the lakes out here in California and have caught more trout than on any other fly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry Mark for not responding sooner. I haven't been checking for comments and didn't even realize you and Mel were following. I will try to be more diligent on responding. Yes, I met David about 3 years ago right after I started fly fishing and I talked to him at the Caney about 3 weeks ago. Thanks for the info, I need all the help I can get.

      Delete
  2. Hi, Pappy, just hit the Followers button on your blog a few days and will follow along. Mark gave you a really good tip on the Thin Mint Bugger. Also, if you into David on the river sometime tell him I said hello. He spent some time in Colorado before moving back home to guide on the Caney. Ok, now as far as I am concerned, 7 good fish to the net is a very successful day. I like the way you used various searching patterns to get a feel for what the fish were really wanting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mel. I'll probably see David sometime this spring and I'll tell him. One of the things I do different than most of the others at the Caney is that I use a sinking tip line and usually fish with a 8' flourocarbon leader, cut from a 9', and I start with a 2' piece of flourocarbon tippet. They seem to keep the fly down in the water if the flow isn't too bad..Again, I'm sorry I didn't realize y'all were on here sooner.

      Delete

Rainbow on the Harpeth

Rainbow on the Harpeth

9" Rainbow

9" Rainbow

First of the Day

First of the Day

Yes Honey, I'm Working

Yes Honey, I'm Working

Nice Rainbow

Nice Rainbow

Elk #2 Rainbow

Elk #2 Rainbow

Snow Day Trout

Snow Day Trout

Snow Day Fun

Snow Day Fun
Jack and Skipper

Time to go home

Time to go home